- Bed Bugs
- Pest Identification
- Careers at Schendel
- Contact Us
There is so much information out there regarding bed bugs, it can be hard to follow the latest news and prevention tips. If you are looking for the simple facts, the top things that everyone should know about bed bugs, you have come to the right place. For residents in Kansas City, Topeka, Wichita, Johnson County and throughout Schendel Pests coverage area, here are the top 10 bed bug facts that you should know:
Bed bugs are most easily spread as a result of traveling. Anyone flying or even taking public transportation is at risk of a bed bug hitching a ride home with them on their clothing, suitcase, or luggage.
You need to search more than just the mattresses to identify a bed bug infestation. They could be in headboards, nightstands, floor cracks, electrical outlets, behind hanging artwork, under carpets, and beyond. A thorough inspection is key!
Use a flashlight when looking for bed bugs. It will help to illuminate their dark hiding spots and allow a more detailed inspection.
These elusive insects are nighttime feeders. They sense your carbon dioxide while you are sleeping and then crawl in to feast on your blood.
Not all people are affected by bed bug bites. In fact, only about 40% of people have a reaction to bed bug bites at all, which leaves around 60% of us unaware of bed bug bite symptoms.
Bed bug bites can be better identified by their pattern of three bites in a line on your skin. This is known as the “breakfast, lunch, dinner pattern”.
Bed bugs vary in size but adults are about the size of an apple seed with oval shaped, flat bodies.
When inspecting for bed bugs the signs of an infestation are: live bugs themselves, brownish colored skins shed as they grow, and dark spots which are there fecal matter from feeding on human blood.
To prevent bed bugs during your travels, become an expert inspector and do not stay in any room that has any signs of a bed bug infestation. Keep your luggage and belongings up off of the floor to prevent any hitchhikers.
When you arrive home from a trip, inspect your clothing and luggage. Vacuum your suitcases and wash all of your clothing on the hottest temperature available to those fabrics so you are sure to be bed bug free!
There you have it: the top 10 bed bug facts to help you steer clear of the bed bugs biting. Of course it is a good idea to further read into travel, prevention and inspection tips to prevent any bed bug infestations. If you would like to get more information on these bed bugs or if you have identified a bed bug problem in your home or your business, contact our Kansas City bed bug exterminators right away. These are not pests you want to wait on treating for as a few bed bugs can quickly become a major infestation.
|05/13||Are Ants In Kansas Infesting Your Home And Property?|
|04/13||KS Pest Pros On National Bed Bug Awareness Week|
|04/13||Moles And Voles Bring Damages To KS Properties|
|03/13||Kansas Home Sealing Services To Keep Pests Out|
|03/13||Termites Threaten Kansas Homes And Businesses This Spring|
|12/12||Meet Scout, Schendel's Newest Bed Bug Detecting Canine|
|12/12||Keep Your Holiday Decorations and Home Pest Free|
|11/12||Does Your Hotel Have a Bed Bug Response Plan Ready?|
|11/12||Be Aware Of Pantry Pests While Baking This Holiday Season|
|10/12||Find Out What Boxelder Bugs In Topeka Are Up To|