Do-It-Yourself Cockroach Prevention For Fall
When the seasons start changing, you can count on good changes as well as bad. As winter creeps closer, we look forward to the brisk fall air, gorgeously colored trees, and drinking mugs of hot chocolate while sitting next to a toasty warm fire.
Most people like to focus on the excitement and joy that fall brings. Yet, it is wise to be aware of the problems that sometimes come along with cooler weather. One problem that many homeowners dread is insect pests that seek shelter from the impending winter chill.
Cockroaches are one species of insect that seeks out moist areas, as they provide warmth, food, and darkness. As we enter the later months of fall, these vile insects seek refuge from the cold and, more often than not, that refuge is your home. Most homes provide an ample amount of food, warm areas, and dark crawl spaces, all of which are attractive to cockroaches. With outside temperatures dropping, your home is the most comfortable place for a cockroach to take up residence.
DIY Steps to Help Prevent Cockroaches
- We sometimes mistakenly bring cockroaches into our homes on or in items we carry indoors. Always inspect paper bags and boxes before bringing them into your home.
- Seal any gaps in your foundation, windows, and doors. Each of these areas make access easier for pests, especially if they are unsealed or damaged.
- Inspect piping and faucets for leaks or damage. Faulty piping can lead to moisture buildup, which attracts cockroaches.
- Clean up clutter in and around your home. Fewer areas for cockroaches to hide means fewer reasons for cockroaches to stay.
- Wipe up food and drink spills as soon as they happen. Grease or grime that is left on counters and floors provide an easy meal for cockroaches.
While DIY prevention measures are a step in the right direction toward reducing the likelihood of an infestation, they are no replacement for professional pest control services.
Because of our dedicated team of pest control experts, Schendel Pest Services is trusted by over 30,000 homes and businesses. With our wide variety of residential services, you can be sure we will cover every pest problem you experience in your home.
Don’t wait until cockroaches have infested your home, contact Schendel Pest Services to schedule a free inspection. We are here to help you keep your home safe from pest intruders!