How to Keep Mosquitoes Away from Your Pool
There is nothing quite like relaxing next to the pool on a hot summer day. There is also nothing like being eaten by mosquitoes as you relax next to the pool on a hot summer day. If you’re having trouble with mosquitoes feeding on you while you’re trying to enjoy your pool, we have some tips and insights that should help.
What You Can Do
There are many strategies that can help to prevent mosquito bites. Some of them have to do with what attracts mosquitoes into your yard and near your pool. Others work to directly prevent mosquitoes from targeting you.
Flowering plants. Mosquitoes need sugar more than they need blood. One of the ways they get sugar is from flowers. The more flowers you have in your yard, the more mosquitoes you’re likely to have. You can counter this attractant by planting mosquito-repelling plants such as lemon balm, citronella, marigolds, and lavender.
Ornamental plants. The same mouthparts mosquitoes use to draw your blood can be used to draw the sap out of plant stems. That means ornamental plants can be an attractant for mosquitoes. And not only will mosquitoes feed on your plants, they’ll use your plants as hiding places from the hot sun. Those mosquito-repelling plants can help a little with keeping mosquitoes out of your ornamental plants. But it is far from a perfect solution.
Moisture. Mosquitoes require a lot of moisture to survive. Damp, shaded areas in your landscaping and around your home are going to be havens for those blood-eating pests. Trim tree branches to allow the sun to dry your yard. Put space between your plants to let airflow dry your topsoil. And address any conditions in your yard that promote dampness, such as obstructed gutters or leaky spigots.
- Mosquito sprays are the best personal protection for mosquitoes, but as you’re probably aware, they are far from a complete solution. Not only are chemicals bad for you, those mosquitoes can usually find a place to bite you, even if you’ve applied repellent.
- If mosquito sprays make you feel sick or you’d prefer to not apply chemicals to your skin, you can opt to use a natural product that has lemon eucalyptus oil.
- Have you ever noticed that a nice breeze can keep mosquitoes away? Well, you don’t have to wait for a windy day to enjoy your pool. Put some fans out there to keep those mosquitoes from landing on you. That breeze will also be nice between dunks in the water.
- Studies have shown that consuming alcohol can make you more attractive… to mosquitoes. Keep this in mind as you recreate outside.
- Mosquitoes are more active in the morning and evening. If you enjoy your pool in the middle of the day, you’ll get fewer bites.
What a Professional Can Do
Mosquitoes can be relentless. No matter what you do to keep them away, you can still have trouble with them. The only real solution is a routine misting service performed by a licensed professional. With an appropriate application of insecticides, mosquitoes will have a very hard time hiding or breeding in your yard. When mosquitoes can’t hide or breed in your yard, it can have a big impact. This is because mosquitoes don’t typically fly very far. The mosquitoes that bite you in your yard are mosquitoes hiding in your yard. That is why they can get to you so fast. While it can seem like mosquitoes fly all day every day and cover most of the earth, this is not the case. They spend most of their time hiding in vegetation, waiting for a mammal to walk by. If you’ve never tried professional mosquito control, we encourage you to give a try. You may be startled by the results. There is a reason our customers come back year after year for mosquito control service.
If you live in our extensive service area throughout Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Arizona, and Arkansas, reach out to us. With Schendel Pest Services, you’ll get the most effective mosquito control service available, backed by our PestZero Guarantee. When it comes to dangerous, disease-spreading insects like mosquitoes, don’t settle for anything less.