WHAT IS AN ODOROUS HOUSE ANT?
The odorous house ant is one of the more common household pests and is found throughout the United States, Canada and into Mexico. The odorous house ant has an insatiable appetite for sweets but will feed on most food items found in homes. This ant is very tiny, measuring 1/16 to 1/8 inch in length. They are not particular about where they develop their nests. Some nest outside while others nest inside homes in the insulation, under sinks and dishwashers. The telltale method of identification and reason for their name is the rotten coconut smell emitted by the odorous ant.
WHY DO I HAVE THEM?
The desire for sweet foods will invariably lead the odorous house ant into homes in their quest for sugar. While getting their sugar outdoors from flower nectar and honeydew of aphids, laboratory studies have proven that sugar from foods will always be their preference.
ARE THEY DANGEROUS?
The odorous house ant does not pose a danger to the structure, pets or people in your house. They are not carriers of diseases, they will not cause any damage to your house or belongings and cannot sting.
CAN I DO IT MYSELF?
While people are often tempted to try the “do it myself” approach, it usually becomes more expensive in the end. Retail pesticides are not always effective and can pose a danger to you and your family greater than the odorous ant infestation. If you’re concerned about ants, contact Schendel Pest Services to learn more about our pest control services.
HOW SOON CAN YOU GET HERE?
Schendel Pest Services is committed to respond to your pest control needs as quickly as possible. We are dedicated to respond the same day or the very next day at the latest.
IS THE TREATMENT SAFE?
At Schendel Pest Services, our treatments are safe to be used around people, pets and your plants. Our goal is to use the least amount of product possible to solve and manage your pest problems. All our conventional products are EPA approved and we adhere to very strict guidelines with their application.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
We have standard pricing for all our pest control services. These standards are based on the square footage of the home and the number of treatments or services needed. Schendel will also disclose any price changes prior to any treatments. Additionally, our quotes are always free and will show your savings while using Schendel Pest Services.
HOW CAN I PREVENT THIS IN THE FUTURE?
Preventing infestations of odorous ants is as simple as keeping them out of your house to begin with.
- This begins with closing off all points of entry. These climbing ants will access your home by climbing trees and shrubs as well as climbing up the foundation in their quest for food.
- Trim all shrubs and trees away from the house, preventing the ant from accessing the home.
- Seal any cracks and gaps through which an ant may enter. This can be done with silicon caulking and will also aid in energy efficiency. This should be done around windows and doors as well as any cracks in the foundation.
- Utility lines coming into the home are potential points of entry. Seal around those lines and pipes to prevent access.
- Food is their main attractant and reason for entering homes. Keep all foods stored in pest-proof containers. A tiny crumb is a huge meal for an ant. Keep all counters and surfaces wiped clean and floors swept and mopped.