What Attracts Silverfish To Our Home?
Are you experiencing little silvery creatures that appear on your bathroom floor after taking a shower? Do they wiggle in a fish-like motion and scoot underneath the tub or sink? Are you seeing them in your humid laundry room or even in your kitchen? These creatures are called silverfish and, if you are seeing them, there was something that attracted them to your house, and something else that allowed them to find their way into your home. In this article, we will equip you with information regarding the conditions that attract silverfish, and what you can do to discourage any more of them from invading. But first, let’s take a brief look at what these creatures are.
What Are Silverfish?
Silverfish, also called carpet sharks or urban silverfish, are tiny insects that have a slender, flattened body which is only around 1/2 to 1 inch in length. Typically they are a light grey and blue color that shimmers and appears silver. Its coloring and the way it sometimes moves is likely how it got the name, silverfish. Silverfish, especially if they invade in large numbers, can cause damage to belongings. They are known to damage wallpaper by eating away at the glue that holds it to the wall. They will devour the glue that holds books together. And they are also known for damaging or destroying many fabrics and paper documents, including treasured photographs.
Things That Attract Silverfish To Our Yards
- Silverfish are attracted to leaf piles. Leaf piles, especially if they are wet underneath, will attract silverfish. A moist leaf pile is a haven for silverfish and other moisture-loving pests, such as earwigs. If you need to rake up leaves from your yard, make sure to remove them as soon as possible. If you are unable to bag leaves and remove them, rake them as far away from your home as possible.
- Silverfish are attracted to weeds. Removing tangled weeds from your property will help in deterring moisture-loving pests.
- Silverfish like to hide underneath wood. If you have wood piles, construction materials, or any other wooden objects lying around, know that silverfish and other moisture pests will love you for it. Keeping wood well away from your home, and up off the ground, will go a long way in keeping silverfish at bay.
- Silverfish will hide underneath anything that traps moisture. If there are tarps, or large objects of any kind, that are lying on the ground, silverfish may congregate there. If you are unable to completely remove objects from your property, try to keep them as far away from your foundation and walls as possible.
- Silverfish love mulch. A ring of mulch around your foundation, especially if it is moist underneath, is a haven for silverfish. If you have mulch close to your foundation, consider replacing it with a dry material such as crushed rock. If you can’t stand to part with your mulch, make sure to trim back vegetation that shades your mulch, so it at least has a chance to be dried out after wet weather.
What Attracts Silverfish To The Inside Of Our Homes?
If silverfish find gaps, holes, and cracks to squeeze through into our homes, they will want to stay if conditions are right.
- Silverfish are attracted to any moist area. Wherever there is moisture in your home, silverfish will be comfortable. To dry up wet, moist or humid areas, start by fixing any leaky pipes, sinks, tubs or toilets. If you have humid areas, consider using fans and/or dehumidifiers to dry things out. And make sure to always use your bathroom fan when taking showers to keep the moisture level down.
How A Year-Round Pest Plan Can Help
While there are things you as a homeowner can do to try to prevent silverfish from invading, such as carefully examining the outside of your home and sealing up gaps and cracks that silverfish may be squeezing through, the most successful way to keep these, and many other, household pests out, is to partner with a pest control company.
Schendel Pest Services offers 365 days of protection. Guaranteed. With intensive interior and exterior service, followed by quarterly visits, we guarantee that you will be pest-free. If pests present themselves between scheduled visits, we will return and take care of the issue at no extra charge. Our PestZero Guarantee protects your home from ants, spiders, crickets, fleas, mice, rats, roaches, silverfish, and more! Reach out to Schendel today to start your journey to a pest-free home.