How To Minimize Your Risk For Spring And Summer Carpenter Ants
Why Now is the Time To Protect Your Home Against Carpenter Ants
When carpenter ants get into a home, they can remain active all year long. However, if they’re outside, they take a break in the colder months, then come back out when the weather warms in the spring.
Spring is also the time of year when carpenter ants reproduce. Swarmer ants come out of the ground, find mates, and start new colonies. Because of this, spring is often the time of year when your home is at the greatest risk of becoming infested by carpenter ants–if it hasn’t been already. That makes spring the time to protect your home against carpenter ants.
How to Minimize Your Risk for Spring and Summer Carpenter Ants
Reducing the chances of ending up with a carpenter ant infestation is easier than you might think. Do the following to minimize your risk:
- Don’t leave food out. The #1 reason ants end up in homes is because they’re foraging for food. By putting all food away in sealed containers, you’ll greatly reduce your risk of a carpenter ant invasion.
- Clean up crumbs, messes, and spills. If traces of food are left out, ants will consider them a feast. Make sure to wash your counters and sweep your floors regularly, and wipe down your cabinets periodically.
- Check for water leaks. Just like most animals, ants need water to survive. They’re more likely to infest your home if there is a water source. Check around your home for leaky pipes or faucets and repair any water damage immediately.
- Look for entry points. Ants need only a small opening to get into your home, so sealing all cracks, holes, and gaps around the perimeter of your house will help prevent them from getting inside.
- Remove food and water sources outside. Keeping ants out of your house is easier if your property is unattractive to them. Eliminating outdoor food sources and reducing moisture will help.
What to Do if You End Up With a Carpenter Ant Infestation
When carpenter ants invade, they’re nothing to mess around with. Carpenter ants will destroy your property over time, chewing away at any wooden structures they can get into. That’s why immediate ant control is a necessity.
Schendel Pest Services offers home pest control for carpenter and nuisance ants. The benefit of professional treatment over DIY methods is that we get to the source of your ant problem instead of simply dealing with the symptoms. Your ant infestation will be completely eradicated so you won’t have to worry about it in the future. Contact Schendel at the first sign of ants. We’ll take care of the problem for you.