What are mice?
If your idea of mice are furry friends that walk on two legs and wear clothes that were in the early childhood shows you often watched, we hate to break it to you, but that is just not reality. In the real world, mice are pests. They like to come into homes and businesses uninvited. They help themselves to food, and contaminate spaces with their urine and feces. The most common type of mouse to invade homes and businesses is the house mouse. This species ranges in size from 2 ½ -3 ¾ inches in length (without the tail), and are gray with a lighter cream-colored underbelly. They have large ears, tiny black beady eyes, and their tail is long and thin and covered in fine hair.
What are the dangers of mice?
Mice most often enter into homes and businesses in the fall when the weather begins to cool. They are searching for a place to live, feed and nest in during the cold winter months. But mice are not just annoying houseguests, they are dangerous, and bring with them a variety of diseases that they can transmit to people. These diseases include: Salmonellosis, Hantavirus, Leptospirosis, and lymphocytic diseases. Mice can introduce parasites like fleas, ticks and mites into your property.
Mice are also dangerous because of the amount of structural damage that they can inflict on a property. They can chew through wires, pipes, drywall, and insulation, all which can lead to fire and water damage. They can also contaminate your food, food prep areas, personal belongings, and inventory with their urine and feces as they travel and forage for food throughout your property.
How can I get rid of mice?
The best way to get rid of a mouse infestation is with the help of a professional. Pest control experts can easily and quickly implement a treatment plan that is specific to your needs. At Schendel, we can eliminate mice from your home through our Premium Care program.
The Premium Care program includes a detailed inspection of the interior and exterior of your home, and then a targeted treatment of all areas where activity is present. After the initial treatment, follow-up services will be scheduled that include quarterly service visits. With our PestZero guarantee, you can sleep soundly at night knowing if pests return in between visits, Schendel returns for free!
We also have pest control plans that are specifically geared to a large variety of businesses, with our customized commercial pest control services we can eliminate any current problems you are having with mice, and help you to maintain a pest free facility. With services in place from Schendel’s Total Quality Assured programs, your business, its reputation, and your profits will be safe from mice and other pests!
Are there ways to prevent a mouse infestation?
Preventing mice infestations can be difficult. They are very adept at entering into homes and businesses through very small spaces, some only the diameter of a pencil. There are however some easy steps that you can take around your home or business to help deter these pesky pests.
Mouse prevention tips include:
- Sealing any cracks or crevices found in your home or facility’s foundation. Also, remember to seal the areas around where utilities enter into your building.
- Caulking any gaps found around exterior doors and windows. Make sure your chimney has a tight fitting cap on it.
- Trimming back trees and bushes away from your home or facility so rats cannot use the branches to gain easy access to your building.
- Keeping garage doors, doors to sheds, and other outbuildings shut.
- Making sure that trash stored outside is kept in receptacles with tight fitting lids and that they are placed away from the outside of your building.
- Repairing leaky faucets, pipes or fixtures.
- Making sure that food is stored properly in kitchen or break room areas. Do not leave food sitting out on counters, and make sure that dirty dishes are not left in the sink overnight.
- Keeping storage areas clutter free and items that are stored should be in plastic containers with lids and not kept in cardboard boxes.